Request For Literature Recommendations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dick Lockwood on July 31, 2002 at 12:44:32:

Perhaps the members of this august body can help me with recommendations for euphonium literature suitable for use in church services.

Details:
- Player is decidely amateur - serious but still amateur.
- Church is a very liturgical Lutheran (Missouri Synod) congregation.
- Literature need not be "sacred" but must be "classical" - anything avant-garde would get me dis-invited.
- Looking for music for prelude and postlude (sort of up-beat) and for anthem (played during offering (can be more contemplative). Anthem is typically 2.5 - 4 minutes in length, prelude is 4 minutes or less, and postlude has no time limit though few congregants are around after 4 minutes.
- May be accompanied or solo. If accompanied, organ is nice though we've played some piano parts on the organ with varying degrees of success. The organ/piano part should not be too challenging - one organist is good but doesn't have time or motivation to work up virtuoso parts and the substitute organist is still making the transition from piano.
- I'll attempt any clef (OK, so I'll have to re-write anything in alto clef).
- Some examples of what's worked in the past:
Selections from "Violoncello Classics" - Leo Schulz, published by Schirmer
Telemann's "Heroick Musick for Trumpet and Organ" (arr. David Pizzaro)
Guilmant's "Morceau Symphonique" starting with the Allegro moderato - not going
to ask the organist to deal with 6 flats in the opening.

I can't afford to buy everything in the publishers' catalogs just to discard most of it. So if you've played - or heard - appropriate pieces, please let me know.

Posted and private responses are both OK by me.

Thanks for reading this all the way through.

Dick Lockwood
lockwoodnc(AT)aol.com

Follow Ups: