Re: Re: "How to Kill Orchestras" - NY Times

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by About point 1... on July 02, 2003 at 08:01:16:

In Reply to: Re: "How to Kill Orchestras" - NY Times posted by Stefan on July 01, 2003 at 23:09:16:

I don't think major orchestras base themselves in cities; I think cities cultivate orchestras. In the Dallas area, there are several suburban orchestras; but no one has ever heard of them, and most likely never WILL hear of them outside the immediate vicinity. Civic pride is a factor -- probably the MAIN factor -- for the people who donate to an orchestra (which everyone seems to agree is essential to its survival). Thus people in E. Undershirt won't support the orchestra in W. Undershirt, and vice versa. Business people in the suburbs know that their suburb's name has no cache outside the area, so they'll support the big-city orchestra if they want to improve the region's reputation as a cultural destination.

The best you might hope for is to have, rather than the Plano Symphony Orchestra, the North Texas Symphony Orchestra located in Plano. That might have the broad support to eventually reach critical mass. But looking at the large cities that seem unable to support major orchestras, I don't know that I'd bet the rent on it even then.

Joe Baker, who almost never goes to concerts unless he's playing in them.

Follow Ups: