older tuba music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie Krause on July 03, 2003 at 11:09:06:

Does anyone have Richard Fraziers email or phone #? He use to teach at Univ of Oregon.

I bought a Sony reel to reel at a garage sale for $20, mint condition and regreased everything and it works perfectly now, in fact better than my old Akai I had that quit working. I had two boxes of recorded music and got them down from the attic and found a tape of an Octubafest we did in 1974 for 4 days, small concerts. On it is some pieces we did that I cant remember and they are good. See if anyone has played these songs with descriptions. The incredible thing is that the sound is like u are sitting there

1. two tubas and sounds like soprano doing music to 5 poems. 4 of the poems are about sea life. this piece is hilarious. Richard Frazier and I did it. This piece is a Rip and fun to work up and not easy, lots of jumping around. 1st Mvmt- song about annoying sneezing, very short. 2nd Mvmt- lyrical about a snail and a sealife not joining the dance. 3rd Mvmt- Lobster song, the soprano describes the lobsters life with the song ending on pedal tones. 4th Mvmt-last movement is a poem about the jaberwok and fairly fast, quick with alot of moving parts.

2. Duet for tuba and euphonium- 1st mvmt- slow and melodic. 2nd Mvmt- faster and euph has solo in 1st and 2nd mvmt. 3rd Mvmt- sounds indian like Hiawatha with the tuba doing solo at beginning, then euph doing lead from there on. All movements are short.

3. Duet with Tuba and soprano- really nice and very hard for both soprano and tuba- both parts are interactive and each have solos throughout 1st Mvmt is moderately fast and gorgeous. 2nd Mvmt starts out with tuba solo and is slow.

4. Trio for 2 tubas and euphoniums- 1st Mvmt- moderately fast and lyrical. 2nd Mvmt- faster at beginning and goes to a waltz with the 2 tubas doing a play/sing doing the ompahs to the euph solo, goes back to trio and then back to waltz with the tubas singing again. 3rd Mvmt- slow with tubas doing long tones and euph with a nice slow lyrical solo and going to a euph tuba duet, very pretty mvmtthen speeds has parts where it is moving and then immediately slows down to like beginning and does this back and forth. All mvmts are fairly short.

If anyone knows these pieces from the descriptions, send me an email or post here I would like to get the names to make a program and see if i can still get these pieces.

This was a fun Octubafest and Frazier player Kraft Encounters on it as well. It was fun and Richard did a great job and had some fantastic variety.

Follow Ups: