Re: Feedback on Nirschel Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art H on July 03, 2003 at 22:45:27:

In Reply to: Feedback on Nirschel Tubas posted by Yo Mamma on July 03, 2003 at 08:56:17:

Three or four years ago I bought a BBb piston valve section from Mr. Nirschl, which I grafted onto an old Martin tuba. I'm pretty sure it's the same as the valvesets he is making today. I really like having extra-large-bore 4th valve tubing; it makes a huge dynamic range possible in the low register. I also like the slide layout. All of the valve slides are accessible at the top, with a special rod-and-ring for pulling the second slide. The first and fourth slides can each come out almost a full semitone, making some interesting alternate fingerings possible. And I can get virtually all of the water out of the tuba by lifting it once over my shoulder. (I press the 4th valve on the way up, and the 1st and 3rd when it is tilted back. Then I bring it back down and all the water that has not run out the leadpipe behind me flows directly to the water key in the main tuning slide.)
Here are my petty complaints: The pistons are heavier than necessary, but maybe that means they will last a long time. They are arranged in an arc, but its radius is too big. (I made extenders so that the buttons would be where my fingertips are.) The valve guide grooves were not quite deep enough to accomodate the nylon guides supplied, but I managed to cut them deeper. Finally, the valve caps did not screw down all the way at first. I had to work them in using lava soap and leather-covered pliers. I hope that Mr. Nirschl has worked some of those bugs out of his system by now.

Follow Ups: