Re: Tuba jobs that aren't going to die

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on July 05, 2003 at 09:52:24:

In Reply to: Tuba jobs that aren't going to die posted by The Sock on July 03, 2003 at 23:30:00:

It is a good thing to question your major in college.
I started as a music ed major, then in my sophomore year, I took a really long, hard look at my future. I did not want to be a band director. I considered a major outside of music, then realized that my passion was to perform. I then committed to sweating blood in the practice room to become competetive, and explored the options.
When I graduated, I was about out of money and there was one orchestral audition advertised for that summer. My fantasy about landing an orchestral position right out of college folded as I was dismissed after the first round, along with talented players from all the major schools. I explored more options, then joined the Army as a Bandsman. While my job was less than perfect, I did notice that whenever I subbed with a local orchestra, the musian's gripes were basically the same as in an Army Band. I was getting real-life experience as a performing musician, with good pay, benefits and job security.
No job has absolute security. There were over 90 US Army Bands before the cut to 48 in 1975, then the cut to 28 after the first Gulf War. Military band positions are becoming more competetive, just like everywhere else. Walt Disney slashed the number of musicians they employ, and all sorts of groups are feeling the effects of the economy these days. However, music did not go away during the Great Depression and will not go away now. Those with talent, creativity and persistence will be the musicians that make it during the 21st century, as in every other century. Glenn Miller was one of the greats of 20th Century music, but his first two bands folded, not for artistic reasons but economic. I'm personally glad he didn't give up!

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: