Re: flying

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 09, 2003 at 18:19:04:

In Reply to: flying posted by Mary Ann on July 09, 2003 at 18:02:59:

The last time I flew with a tuba was from Dallas to San Antonio on Southwest, carrying my 621 in its plastic case. This was long before the new airline obnoxiousness and the new security situation. They told me I could carry it on board (without a ticket), and even let me take it to the gate. But at the gate they required me to gate-check it, and told me I could not even buy it a seat because there was no way to secure it properly in a hard case. In San Antonio, they gave it to me at the gate, but on my return to Dallas, they ran it through baggage claim, which is just what I didn't want. But there was no damage.

All the rules are different now, but I find that Southwest is consistently cheerful and willing to help, unlike many others, including (sadly) United, which I now have to fly all the time.

But I wouldn't buy it a ticket. In a Johnson case, it is likely that you could not bring it onto the airplane no matter what. Southwest flights tend to be overloaded with carry-ons. Just trust the Johnson case, and make sure you have insurance on the instrument. A policy with Clarion will cost you less than that extra seat and will protect you in case there is damage.

I'd do the volleyball thing if it fits.

I would expect the case to weigh 30 pounds or a bit less. The large WJ case weighs 40 pounds. You tuba is less than 20 pounds, so you should be okay. I hear 50 pounds quoted around airports as being the current limit. It used to be 70.

Rick "who flies a lot but rarely with tuba" Denney

Follow Ups: