Re: pictures of York Eb helicon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on July 10, 2003 at 15:57:57:

In Reply to: pictures of York Eb helicon posted by js on July 10, 2003 at 15:19:04:

FWIW,
About a year and a half ago I bought a York Artist Eb sousaphone with the intention of creating a copycat horn of my own and learning a little horn repair at the same time. I've since come to realize that I'm too busy with other goals to spend time on this horn that has mostly been collecting dust. Other than the obviously different bell the wrap of my sousaphone is identical. The sound and intonation is quite good. I suspect Joe S. chose this body for a helicon project because of the inherently good intonation. The valves and slidesmove freely. The compression is on the leaky side of ok but still quite functional. If I were to play it a lot I would put lighter springs(I don't like heavy springs) on it and replace the buttons with something that isn't quite as noisy(not original buttons and they bottom out before the felts touch) but otherwise it's ready to play. Over half the laquar is gone which I suppose means it would be easier to prepare for silver plating. Brasso shines it up real nice on the unlaquered parts. It used to be a school horn and has obviously seen it's share of abuse but I've had the major stuff rubbed out and all in all I don't think it looks half bad as it stands. I just took pictures last night and they are at the developers now. I'm leaving for my two weeks annual training with the National Guard Saturday and won't be back until the 26th but anyone that might be interested can feel free to drop me a line with questions. I was planning on putting it up for sale once back from AT but Joe S. gave me to good of a setup to let it pass by. I'm currently hoping for $300+shipping or best offer.

I'm also going to put a Parke Ofenloch, PT-10 leadpipe and double whole-step fifth valve slide, and PT-44 up for sale.

Joseph Felton

Follow Ups: