Re: Orchestral Recordings/ Quintet Recs.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by B.G. on July 10, 2003 at 21:11:25:

In Reply to: Orchestral Recordings/ Quintet Recs. posted by Ray on July 10, 2003 at 13:20:01:

On the Webern "Six Pieces", there aren't a lot of choices anymore: either Abbado/VPO (DG), Sinopoli/Dresden (Teldec), or Dohnanyi/Cleveland (Decca). All three are good. For the Janacek, you might as well get the MacKerras recording on Decca, which is now on a Double Decca "twofer" with tons of other cool Janacek works. The Gliere #3 just received a new recording on Telarc, with Leon Botstein conducting the London Symphony Orchestra. It's quite good. I agree with the first person's choice of Salonen/L.A. Phil (Sony) for the Revueltas. For the Bruckner 8th, there are lots of good recordings. Much depends on just how fast or slow you think the last two movements (by far the longest) should go. Personally, I really like the new Franz Welser-Most/Gustav Mahler Youth Orchestra (EMI) one above all others. Both the sound and the playing are great, and I really like W-M's pacing of the work. That's just me.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: