Re: Re: BBb Opinion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 12, 2003 at 22:47:36:

In Reply to: Re: BBb Opinion posted by Thanks! on July 12, 2003 at 18:42:48:

Prices vary all over the place depending on who you buy it from, how long they've had it, the current Euro exchange rate, and (apparently) phase of the moon.

Therefore, I suggest you go to the shops listed on the Shops page and give them a call and ask them.

But here are some very round numbers: The King is in the mid-threes for lacquer. The VMI is around four for the 3301 and in the high fours for the 3302. The 186 is around four, but is sometimes less (as is the VMI). I don't know of anyone who has bought a 186-5U, but I expect the price would be close to a thousand more, just as with the VMI. The Meinl-Weston 195 (the basic Fafner) is in the middle sixes last I heard, which, for a horn of that size and quality is a real bargain. The Rudy Bayreuth model is probably in the nines, and the Willson 3100 is around that figure. The Rudy 4/4, which is a fine instrument indeed, is probably in the sixes. The 191 seems to be in the low fives with four valves, and close to six with five valves. One not mentioned but a possibility if you want a potentially great tuba and your willing to wait for it is a Gronitz PBK, which is probably in the sevens. And Alexander is making tubas again priced probably similar to a Fafner or a Gronitz.

German tuba prices have risen recently and these numbers may now be out of date. I'm sure I'll be corrected, but this will give you an idea.

Of course, nobody said you have to get a new one. A used Miraphone 186 in excellent condition can usually be had for around $3000 or even less. The new Kings haven't been out long enough to be used, though.

Rick "who thinks any of these can be a bargain if you are happy playing them" Denney

Follow Ups: