Re: Lip questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cale Self on July 13, 2003 at 11:30:30:

In Reply to: Lip questions posted by Student on July 12, 2003 at 01:43:30:

Man, you've gotten some great advice here! The only thing I would add (and really not add, but further delineate) is that chances are, whatever you're doing with your embouchure is just fine. All you probably need to do is focus more on maintaining the uppermost quality on the simplest of things, i.e. posture, breathing, & blowing.

Speaking as someone who had a pressure problem in college, and, for that matter, a shifting/pivoting problem, the way I fixed it (and am continuing to fix it) is with lots and lots of airflow. Sheridan says that the only reason you get the ring on your lips (lip fatigue) is that you aren't supplying your embouchure with enough air for it to work properly and efficiently. And as far as shifting/pivoting is concerned, Bill gave you great advice: work your shifts to make them smooth, and try to widen the gaps where they occur.

Anytime I have a serious problem with frustration or fatigue in my practicing, I always find it extremely beneficial to put the horn down and work on what I'm doing with just my airflow. I've found that it remedies 99% of my problems that I attribute to other aspects of my playing. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Cale

Follow Ups: