Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey Brian Fredrickson-Read Me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 16, 2003 at 12:07:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey Brian Fredrickson-Read Me posted by Chuck Jackson on July 16, 2003 at 00:49:21:

I figure somebody has to like it or it would not have been growing so fast.

I spent way too much time downtown and along the strip, because I was working on traffic signals and that's where the big traffic problems were at the time. Saw lots of tourists and and lost of folks who were old before their time along the strip.

But I agree about Red Rock Canyon, which is an easy drive out West Charleston, and I also visited Valley of Fire on several occasions, plus many attempts to cool off by driving up into the mountains. The big hotels look so grand from street level, but it is remarkable how insignificant they look from Red Rock Canyon--just little bumps in the valley between the real monuments. It provides perspective, and I can see why you go there.

I even rode my bike out Charleston once, discovering anew the meaning of "false flat". It's flat, alright, but tilted uphill. I went about 12 mph on the way out and more like 30 coming back.

I was back for a standards meeting last year, and it's changed so much even in 8 years that many places were unrecognizable, Stupak'S Tower being the exception, of course. (I still won't get within the fall zone of that tower and I suggest the same strategy for you, heh, heh. I watched it being built. I was there when the mega-sign in front of the Hilton fell over because of a little thunderstorm microburst, and I think it was better built than the tower.)

If I have another meeting there, I'll let you know and we can tilt one or two.

Rick "for whom the glamour of Vegas wore off after the first half-dozen trips" Denney

Follow Ups: