I'd like to share this...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay on July 20, 2003 at 01:18:40:

I'm in a predicament that I'd like to share: I enjoy playing tuba. With the tuba, I¡¯ve traveled, played jazz, lots of concerts, and everything. I especially like to play Dixieland music and in street bands.

But, I would like to ask, does anyone have their own concept of the way you would like to sound like on the tuba and a sound that you've worked to accomplish. The reason that I ask is because I do, and for a long time I¡¯ve worked hard for that. Now, this concept has been established and so far I do not want to change it. It's MY OWN sound if you will. But, lets say you take off and go to some university and you have a tuba teacher that does not hear the tuba the way you hear it in your head. I feel that this teacher (not mentioning any names), is not that much better me. But, because I HAVE TO study with this person, I am bothered by the fact that my technique has to change and is changing because this teacher wants to teach me to sound like him instead of me. Has any of you been in a situation like this?

Follow Ups: