Mendelssohn&Smetana-Great Recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on July 22, 2003 at 14:45:42:

I just returned from a little jaunt to a nationwide chain of Book/Music stores. I scored two VERY NICE recordings from a bargain bin.

1. Complete Incidental Music to Midsummers Night Dream- A 1977 recording with the LSO and Andre Previn. The tuba is REALLY present on this recording. I assume it to be Fletcher. This is a veritable master class on how to play the Overture. While very present, the tuba doesn't get in the way. What a beautiful sound.

2. Ma Vlast/Smetana Complete- Yeah, yeah, everyone has played the Moldau to death, but the rest of the charts are great. This is a 1971 recording with the BSO and Rafael Kubelik. Chester sounds awesome, which is starnge given that DG has never been tuba friendly in their recordings with other orchestras. Very fat, meaty, ENSEMBLE ORIENTED sound. Gotta love that Alex!!!!!!

Now, I am looking for the BSO/Leinsdorf selections from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. I have worn out two records and 3 tapes. Chester lays waste to everyone around him. Maybe not the best balanced recording, but good clean tuba listening fun. Any help?

Chuck

Follow Ups: