Uploaded: Mixolydian mode scale routines

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on July 22, 2003 at 23:17:07:

After having uploaded scale routines for the major mode and for the 3 minor modes (pure, melodic, and harmonic) I just have uploaded equivalent routines for the mixolydian mode.

The term of the mixolydian mode may be foreign to some of you, but it simply is the type of scale, which most often is played of dominant 7th and dominant 9th chords.

As with the previously uploaded modes the scales come in 6 instrument versions:

Treble clef euphonium (+ plus all other brasses reading British brass band notation)

Bass clef euphonium (+ tenor and bass trombones)

F tuba, Eb tuba, CC tuba, and BBb tuba, all in bass clef.

Each instrumental version has the scales in 3 octave versions. The mid-range version (which is the true mid-range for each instrument type) progresses in fifths, whereas the high-range version ascends in chromatic increments, and the low-range descends in chromatic increments. That means, that any player can work through any type of scales exactly as high and as low, as his embouchure allows him/her to do.

The next scale routines to come will cover the Dorian mode. Then the scales for the very common ii-V-I jazz progressions will be covered in all keys.

All of my scale routines can be studied "as-is", but as I do not write much text on the theoretical background, the guidance of cunning teachers is recommended.

The routines can be found at the page linked to below here. The same page also has various arrangements for ensembles with 2 to 10 members. Many of them can be used in very variously composed ensembles as found in churches, in schools, and in community contexts.

Enjoy and sweat!

Klaus Bjerre of Denmark
Retired teacher

Free music files in .pdf format:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterBBb/files/
(Approved membership required)

Index over brass instruments gallery and catalogue scans:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterPublicPhotosIII/files/
(Open and free for all membership recommended for better view options.
Alternative log in option for picture viewing:
Yahoo identity = brassphotos03 and password = public)

Follow Ups: