Re: Re: Sousa pads,R&S Helleberg II, misc.drivel

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on July 23, 2003 at 00:14:41:

In Reply to: Re: Sousa pads,R&S Helleberg II, misc.drivel posted by Jeff Hicks on July 22, 2003 at 13:12:53:

I concur with the King 26. You can play it all day without fatigue. Hellebergs are fine if you're going to count a lot of rests, play 12 bars in an orchestra, and put the horn away for the night. Some the Helleberg rims are pretty brutal. Terry Warburton made me an exact copy of the King 26 - he's got a website. E-mail and tell him to make you a copy of the mouthpiece he made for me. Unlike the original King, it uses a "normal" shank which fits most sousaphone "bits". Nice big cushy rim.
I played sousaphone for a living for several years at Disney - get the thing off your shoulder every time you get the chance. I no longer own one - after leaving WDW, I did my work on tuba (and cornet, my other horn), and when I went back to the sousaphone it was instant bursitis.... If I needed a sousaphone again, I hate to admit it, but I'd get myself an old rubber one. Maybe put a Boston Whaler decal on the bell....

Follow Ups: