Re: Re: Cariage belts for Imperials (with balls)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on July 27, 2003 at 04:46:35:

In Reply to: Re: Cariage belts for Imperials (with balls) posted by Ted on July 26, 2003 at 16:44:24:

The belts holding the ball on the bottom bow were superseded 2 decades ago. You can find stores in England that sell both the belt and the carriage strap, presumably for the modern Besson tubas without the ball. Normans had both 6 months ago when I checked; John Myatt Music Limited sells these items. Other stores, especially in the U.K, should have them.

The belt sounded like a fine idea because the weight would be on the waist or really the legs so that breathing would not be impaired, if only by tension. The Meinl Weston harness, I believe, is superior to a strap that goes around only one shoulder (since that one would become more tired than if 2 shoulders suported the weight), but there is the question of how well it would fit non-Meinl Weston tubas that are top action. I wish it supported weight by the waist downward, but I suspect it does not do this. It does have some kind of pad protecting the tuba from belt scratches.

Let me know if you find out about belts supporting the weight of the tuba. A helpful fellow in the U.K is now looking to see if he has a used carriage strap to sell me; he said he probably has a couple, in leather and plastic.

Best regards,
Bill

Follow Ups: