Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aruba in a Tuba - Sunless Tanning Cream

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 27, 2003 at 10:59:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aruba in a Tuba - Sunless Tanning Cream posted by SHS Tubamaster on July 27, 2003 at 10:39:16:

No, Durian won't grow even as far north as South Florida and the Keys. I have been looking for a cold hardy Durian for many years. You can't even buy Durian here in the states because the airlines have banned them from flights. (For those who don't know, Durian has a fairly pungent odor) I suppose that there might be some way to import them via ship but there doesn't seem to be enough of a market yet. America, while a really great place, is a little slow picking up on the virtues of the exotic fruits available around the world. The closest I have in my yard to a Durian would be a Jakfruit. I also have a Champejak but it is still very small and hasn't fruited as yet. Also on my hitlist is Rambutan, a Lychee cousin.

The plants I acquired from the Grimal estate are really nice. One is a rare variety of Sapodilla that is very smooth, rather than the typical grainy texture. The other was a very rare variety of Grumichama. The stuff he had on his property was amazing, to say the least. But not even he could find a Durian that would grow in Florida. The search continues.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: