Euphonium/Baritone/Tenor/Alto horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom on July 31, 2003 at 12:50:40:

Greetings to all.
My question concerns the differences between the US and german naming and construction of the above instruments. From what I have gathered, and I may be wrong on this, for the German system the bariton, tenor, and alto horns are all conical instruments. Both the tenor and bariton are (usually) in Bb, with the bariton having a larger bore throughout the instrument. The smaller tenor horn seems to have a lighter, brighter sound and can pop up to the high notes with a little more ease. The alto horns are of similar design, but are pitched in Eb or F above the Bb and the horns double or substitute for french horns.
For the Us and British system, the baritone seems to be more of a cylindrical instrument, not quite to the level of a trombone, and the euphonium is the conical instrument of the group. I am not sure how, if at all, the tenor and alto horn designations fit into this scheme.

So, off to my questions:
1. What is the correct usage of alto-tenor-baritone-euphonium in the US/British system?
2. Have I gaffed on the German designations?
3. How do the oval bariton horns compare to the piston euphoniums in terms of shape of tubing, conical widening of the tubing, etc? I am not asking for which is better, just what similarities/differences they may have.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead for all those that respond.

Sincerely,
Tom Mosig

Follow Ups: