Re: Buy or not?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on June 02, 1999 at 14:50:32:

In Reply to: Buy or not? posted by Phyllis on June 02, 1999 at 11:52:09:

I would vote for using the school horn for a year or two. I am not sure of what type of horns they have. If they are decent horns, but with a bunch of dents, then that would most likely be better than a low quality instrument which has fewer dents. Isn't 13 years old 8th grade? If so, then next year, when she enters high school, hopefully the instruments will be a bit better.

Tubas are expensive, even the "cheap" ones. If she is just now starting on tuba, then you have little idea of whether she will stick with it or not. I would say to wait at least a year to see what develops. In the mean time continue to save for her college fund and maybe add another $100-150/month to the savings to accomidate a possible instrument purchase. By that time you will have a better idea of whether this tuba thing is for real and you will also have more money to put down on one.

Most of the people I grew up around didn't own their own horns until they were in older than 16 or so. I didn't own my own until my 4th year of college. By 16, they have discovered automobiles, the opposite sex, and other distractions. If she is still interested in a year or two then she will probably have a hankering to play the nobelist of all instruments throughout her life.

sean

Follow Ups: