Movie Soundtracks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on June 05, 1999 at 13:28:37:

I just saw "Episode 1" for the first time yesterday. I know! What rock have I been hiding under for the past few weeks? I continued with my practice of reading the book first and purchasing the soundtrack of movies I'm excited about (which are few!). "Episode 1" didn't dissappoint on either end, content or music (some fuzzy lines here and there). But alas, this is not a movie critique.

I just keep wondering how remarkable it must be to be a musician involved in the soundtrack of a movie that you know will be watched forever. I get goose bumps every time I hear the original Star Wars soundtrack and visualizing the memorable John Fletcher behind his horn. I was lucky enough to hear him live once when the LSO was in Daytona Beach, an annual visit for them. To record Mahler 5 must be tremendous, but in the end, regardless of quality, you're just another recording amongst countless others of the same symphony.

I know John Williams isn't Mahler ( although he "borrows" extensively from said composer as well as Holst and others). He isn't even James Horner, who I believe to be the best thing going now in the soundtrack field (Glory, Apollo 13, Braveheart, Titanic). But his music is fun to listen to, sounds like it's fun to play, and above all, enhances the movie tremendously. He is also clever. Purchase the Episode 1 soundtrack, listen to "Anakin's Theme" and you will hear a very innocent, foreshadowing version of the "Imperial Theme" motive. Good stuff!

A question, however... Why is it that the LSO gets the nod for the Star Wars soundtracks? Is it money? Is it the refusal of American orchestras? Is it that John Williams likes the LSO? They do a wonderful job, don't get me wrong. But I'd love to hear the CSO, San Fran, or even NY Phil now that their horn section isn't playing those Conns (euphoniums) anymore. Just wondering.

Later

Dave

Follow Ups: