Re: Is this a good tuba for the money?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeffrey Chronister on June 06, 1999 at 23:16:33:

In Reply to: Is this a good tuba for the money? posted by Antonio on June 06, 1999 at 13:15:29:

I must agree with most of the comments that have listed so far. It might be OK to buy a $400 or $500 dollar tuba on Ebay, but to shell out a few to several K on a horn without extensive test playing is just plain ridiculous. There are just too many variables with tubas. For instance you might not like the response, you may not like the tone, you may not like the intonation, you might not like where the slides are positioned, (get the picture). although there is no "perfect horn" I strongly advise against a sight unseen purchase, you may wind up with something that you will want to turn right around and sell again, or you might be extremely satisfied, but it is a GAMBLE, and remember when gambling the odds are usually stacked against you!

I really hope this doesn't sound too pessimistic, but I would really hope that this is a good horn and that the seller is just "tryin out" an avenue to carry out business. But as I stated earlier, it really is best to "try before you buy", and no I am not bidding on this horn!

Best Wishes,

Jeffrey Chronister

Follow Ups: