Re: Re: Re: repair shop in Tallahassee?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 07, 1999 at 13:51:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: repair shop in Tallahassee? posted by Dave on June 07, 1999 at 12:43:35:

Roy Lawler is far and away the best repairman I've ever seen or worked with. In fact, I'm going to see Roy this Thursday and have a couple of my tubas cleaned up and have some minor repair work done. But there is a problem with Roy, he isn't taking any new clients. Also, he told me that he sold most of his larger dent balls and bell mandrels to another repair guy who then moved to Brazil. Roy can't take any more clients because his trumpet and trombone making business is keeping him completely busy. He has graciously agreed to keep his current clients serviced with whatever minor stuff is needed, but no more major repairs. So even if you could talk him into helping you out, I'm not sure he could do any of the more major stuff your horn may need. This story is one of the biggest tragedies of the Florida brass scene. All the guys in Disney will tell you what a great repairman Roy is and how high a quality of work he does. He even will schedule appointments for people coming from out of town so that the work can be done while you wait, even on weekends! I'm sure most everyone who's ever worked with Roy wishes him nothing but the best in the future. But now all of us who were spoiled by his high levels of craftmanship are left looking for a replacement. I hope Claude is that replacement because with the numbers of professional players down here, we're certainly going to need somebody! Maybe the folks at Dillon are tired of snow...

Follow Ups: