Re: orchestral recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary on June 11, 1999 at 10:34:30:

In Reply to: orchestral recordings posted by John on June 10, 1999 at 15:27:40:

Wow...there are so many good recordings to suggest.

First, let me say that Bruckner is one of my favorite composers. Yes, Symphonies Nos. 4-9 all have wonderful parts, but the music itself is so inspiring! Check out these recordings:

Bruckner 4-9 with conducting the Munich Philharmonic on EMI. These recordings are like none other. I have many many recordings of Bruckner Symphonies, but they ALL pale in comparison to these. They are newly available here in the states and should be easy to find in any major record store. Celibidache is a GOD and the brass playing is fantastic!

Also, some good NY Phil recordings:

Mahler 3rd with Bernstein on Deutsche Grammophon("DG")
Shostakovich 13th with Masur on Teldec
Wagner-Highlights from the Ring with Mehta on CBS Masterworks (best Ride available!)
Copland 3rd with Bernstein on DG

Chicago Recordings:

Mahler 8th with Solti on London
Pictures at an Exhibition with Jarvi on Chandos
Gershwin-Am. in Paris, etc. with Levine on DG

Also:

Prokofiev 5th with Slatkin and St. Louis on RCA...Gene Pokorny sounds phenomenal here.

Any recordings you can find with Ellis Wean on them would be a great lesson in tone. Check out Montreal Sym recordings up through 1989. Esp. Tchaik. 4th.

For incredible brass section playing (although the tuba is not always all that present)...check out any Royal Scottish National Orchestra recordings with Jarvi on Chandos...unbelievable..esp. the Bass Trombone playing!

Hope this all helps! Happy listening....and buying!

Follow Ups: