Re: Re: orchestral recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland Jordon on June 11, 1999 at 17:45:27:

In Reply to: Re: orchestral recordings posted by Justin on June 10, 1999 at 21:50:40:

I also thought it (LAPO - Johnson & Bobo) would be the best, but while mine was on order, I got a disc with the BBC Music magazine, and upon later comparison, the BBC orchestra wins in my book. Massive section sound across the entire brass, crystal clear recording. I don't know how to get this one by any other means, though -- I'll have to find the relevant issue.

The LAPO recording has the tubas standing out much more in places, and although that would be good for hearing it "from the horses' bells", the entire recording seems segmented and over-engineered to me, and the tubas' presence might have been due to using mics in their bells and tweaking around with the mix (purely a guess from me). Besides, it still sounds like a good-condition LP.

Another BBC Music disc had the last movement of Birmingham, AL, SO playing Rite Of Spring, and it's much tighter than the London SO's recording I've got, with deadly French horns and solid tuba. I may have to get that full recording!

For another recording:
I'm borrowing a friend's CD of "Sensamaya" and other stuff by that composer (can't remember the name of either the CD or the composer -- the CD might be called "Night Of The Maya", black with a sort of embossed picture on it). The tuba parts on there are almost all capable of being standalone modern solo material -- insane!

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: