Re: What is the oppinion on CC Willison 5/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on June 13, 1999 at 11:39:37:

In Reply to: What is the oppinion on CC Willison 5/4 posted by Antonio on June 13, 1999 at 00:37:20:

I tried out the Willson 5/4 CC last summer when I was looking into getting my own horn. At that time on that specific time on that specific horn I was extremely underwelmed by the Willson 5/4 CC.
First, the positive attributes:
I absolutely loved the valves on this horn.. in fact the construction on Willson instruments in general seems to be really top notch. This instrument is *heavy*.. built like a tank! I also loved the sound of this horn and the wonderful projection it seemed to have. These aspects, initially, almost drove my to purchase this instrument.. but then reason took over..
And now for something negative:
The specific horn that I tried out had absolutely hideous intonation problems.. nothing wanted to slot.. I was able to make octave partials turn into 12ths! In retrospect I'm really glad that I didn't buy that horn because it really would have been unplayable. The second aspect that really killed the horn for me was that it was extremely insensitive. Noting that all dynamics are relative.. I would say that that horn wouldn't play quieter than most people's concepts of a solid mf without cutting out. Even in a massive orchestra situation there are times when it is *neccesary* to play quiet. Based on my own limited experience and very basic of the theory behind instrument design I'm pretty sure these problems are interrelated. The best explanation for these problems that I've heard to date is that Willson instruments tend to be designed with one mouthpiece in mind and as a result can be very mouthpiece sensitive. Perhaps a different mouthpiece in the horn I tried would have cleared up the problem.. but in all
reality I don't like that solution. OH! A third problem I found with that horn was that the register starting above the staff was even less responsive than the notes below it. I have a very large solid upper register and this was unacceptable to me.
Soo.. My suggestions to you would be to go back and play the horn again. This time take a good tuner and check out the tendencies of the horn. Are they good or atleast very managable? Also, find a piece of music that is easy and you can play quietly and see how quiet you can play the piece on the Willson. Third, do all the registers respond well? Fourth, for curiosities sake pull out another mouthpiece and see what kind of affect it has on how the horn plays and sounds. If all of these things pan out then I would wholeheartedly endorse purchasing it! They do have a wonderful sound. Perhaps the horn I tried was a lemon.. I played lots of other horns that I had a great deal more success with that day so I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. It's also possible that another mouthpiece could have fixed the problems I experienced and perhaps Willson has done some updating to their design in the last year.
IF by chance the Willson doesn't pan out I would like to suggest that you make the trip up to Custom and try out the PT-6. I would guess that it is along the lines of what you seem to be looking for and it is what I ultimately chose to purchase. The PT-6 is an absolute joy to play and the more I allow it to teach me the more I learn to appreciate and respect what I have. If you *do* get the PT-6 tell them that Joseph Felton sent you! ;b
cheers!
joseph

Follow Ups: