Re: Wanted: Upright Bell (Conn)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on June 13, 1999 at 12:46:34:

In Reply to: Wanted: Upright Bell (Conn) posted by Paul R. Ogushwitz on June 13, 1999 at 10:42:47:

I have been in the brass/woodwind business for 20 years, and have NEVER seen a "spare" upright Conn 20 series tuba bell "laying around" and available.

Think about saving up some dough, buying a big York-style bell from Meinl-Weston/Melton (2165), Willson/Kurath, or V.M.I./ B.& S. (Neptune, etc.), etc., then purchasing the male connecting bell ring (still available, because they still make it for the 20K sousaphone) from U.M.I., and installing the ring on your new York-style bell and cutting off the excess from the bottom of the bell.

Expensive? yes. New, beautiful, shiny, and dent-free? yes, too. (You would still need to find someone to do the labor and polish it, if looks matters.)

I can be the selling agent to you for the male bell ring, if you decide to take my advice. I can also probably get the big Willson CC bell for you, but I don't know about the others that I mentioned. I would only mark up the prices above dealer cost modestly.

Most all of the bells that I mentioned will have just about the same bell length and, of course, throat, as what you are looking for, but their bell flair diameters are all about 20". Perhaps one of them would (if it is the correct size at the bottom) solder straight in to your bottom bow, and you could end up with a one-piece bell. I have no idea how these ideas overlap with your desires.

Follow Ups: