Re: Re: Feedback on Yamaha Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by stuck on a yamaha on June 16, 1999 at 10:51:48:

In Reply to: Re: Feedback on Yamaha Tubas posted by Joe S. on June 15, 1999 at 23:41:52:

I'm a college student, and my most recent purchase was the little yamaha F. I bought it used on this very BBS. It has great response, especially in the low register. However, Joe is right. I'm having to move mountains to get the thing to play in tune. The third partial is so sharp that I've resorted to pulling the main slide and lipping everything else up, and I still have to play with that partial a bit to get it down where it needs to be. THis is a habit I don't think I want to get into. As far as tone, with a little work, I sound just like a euphonium player (which isn't a stretch, because i used to be). But, It takes a WHOLE LOT of work to sound like a tuba. Once again, habits I don't want to aquire, at least not until I'm world famous and have my own record label to promote my sound as "intentional." As a result of this, I'm hunting down some other options; one of which is building my own horn (ala Carl Kleinsteuber), modifying my current instrument (ala Kelly O'Bryant) or ditching it upon some unwarry youngun' (ala wuss-boy).

Follow Ups: