Re: Wanted: Upright bell for 1926 Conn 80J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on June 16, 1999 at 23:27:52:

In Reply to: Wanted: Upright bell for 1926 Conn 80J posted by Mike Roylance on June 14, 1999 at 22:47:40:

I'm only guessing from experience, but you say "copper plated": Many of the instruments that Conn manufactured with the intention of silver plating at the factory were made out of a special bronzy red-brass alloy (not plating, but the actual base metal). The silver plating bonded better to this metal than to regular yellow brass. Today, Anderson Silver Plating Company (major plating company used by many band instrument manufacturers) copper plates instruments prior to silver plating for the same reason - a better bond than to just bare yellow brass. I have discovered this about old Conn instruments by removing silver plating from them quite a few times (repairs, etc.). Those (factory silver plated) have been the only Conn instruments that I have seen this bronze-like alloy used on. Is there a chance that your tuba used to be silver plated, and the silver was removed?

(Sorry that all I have for you is useless information, and no bell that you want.)

Follow Ups: