Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tubas for around $2000?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on June 20, 1999 at 10:38:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tubas for around $2000? posted by Jay Bertolet on June 20, 1999 at 10:21:01:

We can all count on you, Jay, for clear, concise posts. Thanks for the reply!

I just know a lot of young players don't have the confidence to take your suggestions, albeit great ones. I know. I bought a BBb Sonora tuba (whatever the hell that was!) back in my senior year of high school. I bought it from a local guy. It had "neat" rotary valves and was shiney, which was all I really cared about back then since I didn't have the skill to tell the difference between a St. Pete and a Hirsbrunner. I didn't know anybody, wasn't around anybody, a generally shy kid, and trusted the salesman to "tell me what he truly thought". I bought the horn and outgrew it in a year. I wish the internet was around back then. I would have been one of those young posters, wet behind the ears and thirsting for some feedback.

As a former high school and middle school teacher, students (for the most part) can't really grasp the idea of an individual sound concept. Thus, the dictum, "see what you sound like" is not enough for them. It sounds like a tuba! I don't think they really know what they want to sound like. They just know they like doing it and would like to have a horn at home. Not to slam the age group, they're still learning and will form those concepts in post-secondary education.

I think what they want is as many people as possible to answer their posts to either confirm or counter their impressions of the horn, which may be incredibly nondescript. Just keep in mind that they are extremely attracted to a shiny, inexpensive, local instrument and need a little guidance.

Again, Jay, thanks for the points you have raised.

Follow Ups: