Re: Re: Re: suggestions on rotary valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 24, 1999 at 11:27:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: suggestions on rotary valves posted by Dan Bryce on June 24, 1999 at 09:54:08:

I don't think it is a problem having both types of valves on your various tubas, I guess you just get used to it. My situation is that I have 3 rotary and 1 piston. However, the 1 piston tuba (my Willson Eb) is a horn I use second-most after my Rudy Meinl CC. So the issue really concerned me. Honestly, I've gotten used to it but I almost wouldn't say my case is typical because the quality of the Willson valves is so superior that they give me almost no headaches. To be sure, there are big differences in how you press the valves, like in trying to achieve smooth slurs, and you have to be well versed in both sets of techniques. The Yamaha YEB321S I used to have was a real nightmare situation (the valves stuck constantly, no matter what I tried) and really killed my positive perception of pistons permanently. I simply tolerated the Boosey Sovereign I got after the Yamaha, having learned to carry valve oil with me everywhere I took my Eb. I still find it necessary to oil the Willson almost every time I drag it out and I think that is a pain! I wouldn't mind the added inconvenience if I felt there was a tangible benefit. But I think there is no difference in the capabilities of the two types of valves but the pistons are much more labor intensive. If only they made the Willson with rotaries...

Follow Ups: