Re: buying horns for high schools

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on June 26, 1999 at 07:34:44:

In Reply to: buying horns for high schools posted by Dave Zerkel on June 25, 1999 at 14:16:40:

Taking the fact that most school systems aren't going to have a lot of money to throw at tubas. I would lean very heavily toward the VMI 2103. This horn is very well built. Has great sound, intonation, and response. And is very very unlikely to limit any high school level student. These really are great horns and become even better when the $3000 price tag is taken into consideration. Also, the size of the instrument lends it to being very versatile in many situations. It kills me to see so many people flocking to cheaper horns when the VMI 2103 is such a great bargain! I mean no disrespect to anyone, however, I don't put much weight on where a horn was made or what kind of warranty it has. The fact is, if you are as thorough as you ought to be when choosing a horn you aren't going to have warranty issues. An exception to this rule would be a horn such as the St. Pete with questionable manufacturing practices. Also, most work on a horn can be avoided with careful maintenance. A thorough cleaning once a year
can do wonders for the longevity of an instrument. It is also helpful to learn how to clean rotary valves. It isn't complicated and can go a long way toward solving many of the problems people tend to experience with their horns. If there is a legitimate problem with a horn most resalers will want to stand behind a horn because not doing so will soil their reputation. Also, I would be reticent to buy a horn that I was concerned about replacing parts on. If parts are needed, you are going to be without the horn regardless and parts can almost always be found. I wouldn't be concerned about sending a horn back to the factory for anything short of having the horn run over by a bus. Most competent repair techs can handle the bulk of any brass instrument repair.
well.. that's my two cents.. i don't claim to know much of anything but i make up for it with lots of opinions ;b
thoughts.. disagreements are very welcome.. this is an opportunity for me to learn too.
cheers!
joseph :)

Follow Ups: