Re: Re: Re: Re: PRACTICE!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by S. Lamb on June 29, 1999 at 19:31:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: PRACTICE!!! posted by All Day on June 29, 1999 at 19:02:45:

#1 - There are a lot of intangibles that go into winning an orchestral job. Not all of it comes practicing the most.

#2 - It depends on what you call practicing as how many hours a day I put in on the horn. Unfortunately, I have to pay rent and feed myself, so I don't have the luxury to practice 8 hours a day. I do think and contemplate music all day, though, and that has a lot to do being a musician. I put as much time as I can into the horn, but I don't overpractice (yes, there is such a thing). I've had friends lose their chops because they were practicing 10-12 hours a day.

Also, I consider every rehearsal as time to practice. If you are having trouble with a lick in a piece, finger it while the conductor is working with the other sections. If you have a piece down perfect, and I mean perfect (where you could wake up at 5 AM and play it cold), learn the flute part, study a score of the piece, or try to hum multiple parts back in your head using solfege. There's endless possibilities of working the musicianship.

I also try to perform as much as possible, and no matter how much you practice, nothing is as educational as a performance.

Follow Ups: