Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PRACTICE!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by S. Lamb on July 01, 1999 at 10:54:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: PRACTICE!!! posted by Bryan on July 01, 1999 at 02:10:46:

"I guess the good news is there are plenty of teaching jobs available for those who feel medriocrity is an acceptable standard."

I normally try to keep my opinions objective and calm, but a comment like this really ticks me off. I began my studies at Eastman as a Tuba Performance/Music Education major a few years ago with the Music Ed major as a "backup" if I couldn't get a job performing. After 5 semesters of study as a music ed major, I changed to just performance as my major for one reason: If I taught, I would be cheating the kids of a good education. I would walk in the door of the school everyday and say I want to be doing something else other than teaching. Every student has the right to have a teacher who wants to be teaching, not a teacher who does not want to be there. I also came to realization that Music Education is not for "mediocre" musicians, but for musicians who can do it all. Sure, they might not be as specialized as someone who performs for a living, but they are the musicians who have the most profound impact in the musical community. They have the opportunity to mold future audiences and inspire students to become musicians. To all who are in music education, I tip my hat to you. Keep up the good work!!!!

Follow Ups: