Re: Bigger than PT-88

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul Maybery on June 02, 2000 at 12:55:40:

In Reply to: Bigger than PT-88 posted by John on June 02, 2000 at 00:50:34:

While I am not certain of the vital stats on the PT-88, I would simply like to mention something new, something that has not yet hit the pages of the Brasswind Catalog.

Recently, a young and upcoming brass maker in Minnesota, Bill Milashius made a rather unique mouthpiece for me. It is very large, deep and heavy. But! but! but! it plays with very little if any wasted effort. The design was made with the benifit of a CAD program and the mp itself fabricated on a CNC turning center. I'm saying this so you know it can be replicated with precision.

In the design we strove to create a shape that is geometrically logical. That is, so the curves and tangents flow in a way to really expedite the production of sound. The backbore was also given careful design consideration and fully integrated into the geometry of the total mouthpiece.

As it happened, I was looking for a mp that had a wide enough diameter to get around a sharp tooth. As, I am not playing 8 to 10 hours a day, have leather lips and an iron lung, I needed a rim that would be gracious and comfortable enough to not waste my chops during the time I do play. We also wanted something that could at times be pushed to help produce a huge competitive sound akin to what we get from a 6/4 size horn. (but to be used on more utilitarian 4/4 tubas)

The result does indeed produce a huge sound, with plenty of impact and fundamental. But there is something very different, in that there is plenty of color and sweetness from the mid and upper partials. Arguably, there are many fine mouthpieces out there, some pretty mainstream, some pretty radical. This one takes very little adjustment other than getting used to wallowing in the "mud of delight."

In testing the mp:

I first tried this on my big BBb, a custom Conn/York 5/4. It opened up the sound and gave color to what was formerly a rather grey sound.

Then on the 4/4 King CC, the width of the cup made pitch adjustment a breeze. Extreme ranges from pedals to double c were clear and free blowing.

On the Yamaha and Besson Ebs, again the impact of a large, clear and beautiful sound.
It was easier to get a dramatic sound and then switch to a lighter lyrical sound.
It even works on my Robb Stewart reproduction over-the-shoulder saxhorn.

On the F tuba Meinl-Weston 6valve (a fairly large f tuba) I was amazed at the flexibility and the new power that this instrument now has. Like on the CC tuba, intonation problems were easier to adjust straight-away from the mouth.

I have been using this mouthpiece consistantly now for about 3 month. It is even harder to go back to Hellebergs, and Bachs and other mainstream models. I feel as if I need to work too hard.

The Milashius is not a copy of an existing classic but rather an "engineer from scratch" approach.

Bill Milashius has a unigue combination of intuitive skills in brass instrument and mouthpiece design as well as master skills in machining and industrial technology. Bill also happens to be a brass player.

Bill is located in Hugo, Minnesota not far from St. Paul.

Call Bill at Milashius Brass Instruments 651 426-6368.

Paul Maybery
St. Paul, MN

Follow Ups: