Re: Juilliard and other schools

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Haywood J. Buzoff on June 04, 2000 at 15:28:56:

In Reply to: Juilliard and other schools posted by William on June 04, 2000 at 12:53:22:

That is an interesting question. I know someone who played the finest audition of their life, actually is ACQUAINTED with THREE of the four teachers on the audition committee, (Incidentally, this auditioner is a very likable person, an extraordinary player, and has no personality issues.), and the committee chit-chatted with each other during their entire audition. During a cadenza, the committtee members were talking so loud that the auditioner stopped, thinking that they were speaking up to the stage. When the committee realized that the music had stopped because of this, they said, "Oh. Sorry...please continue."

With close second-hand experience, I must tell you that I haven't a clue what they are looking for. I have heard some extraordinary Juilliard graduates perform and some "adequate" ones, too, I am fairly certain that there almost always is a "short list" of "favorites". If don't know yourself to be on that list and are serious about attending there, perhaps you should show up another year after working to lay some "groundwork", as Juilliard only allows two auditions per lifetime, as I understand it.

Follow Ups: