Re: Re: R&S Heavy Helleberg Style MP?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on June 04, 2000 at 22:46:25:

In Reply to: Re: R&S Heavy Helleberg Style MP? posted by Jay Bertolet on June 04, 2000 at 21:10:12:

One of my students showed up with the larger one. After the obvious teasing that he was due about blowing into a tailpipe and the extra pounds of mouthpiece weight putting his thighs to sleep, I puffed, sang, and blatted on it a bit. Compared to the Helleburg-style mouthpiece that I use, it takes away more of the overtones. I LIKE my Helleburg-style mouthpiece because it eliminates MANY overtones that I don't want to hear, but for my taste Helleburgs larger than mine take away too many overtones, and start sounding like a stereo system with the treble knob turned all the way down and the bass knob turned all the way up. I wouldn't chose to play one of the R.& S. mouthpieces, but in spite of my criticism and its obvious "gimmicky" appearance, I think it to be a good mouthpiece, and NOT a gimmick on the INSIDE. Besides, if someone REALLY were to blow the c--p out of one of these even more than I do, the sound might tilt back to "just right" for MY taste.

HEY, that brings up ANOTHER question. Why, at these big T.U.B.A. shindigs, isn't there an annual BLATTING contest, just like the pro roundball guys get together for dunking contests? If organized and successful, would it be on ESPN, or A&E?

Follow Ups: