Re: 14K Conn Sousaphone on eBay question????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on June 05, 2000 at 21:40:43:

In Reply to: 14K Conn Sousaphone on eBay question???? posted by Kevin Eckelkamp on June 05, 2000 at 15:16:22:

Here's what I recall seeing on eBay over the past year or so as far as collector horns BBb. Recently the Jumbo Buescher reserve wasn't met (bidding was up to $1000), Sam's raincatcher was on eBay and I believe didn't sell, a 4 valve Buescher in OK shape went for about $1300. a beat up but salvagable Buescher helicon went for about $600, a Bohm and Meinl 4 valve helicom great shape went for just over $2000, a Conn Jumbo in decent shape went for under $1000, another Conn Jumbo that had been totally reconditioned bidding went well over $2000 and reserve still wasn't met. This should give you a good idea as to what you can expect horns to go for. If you are interested in what collector horns go for Sam has a real good knowledge of what you should expect to pay. I remember I had some email conversations about the Buescher helicon on eBay that sold for about $600. We both thought it was worth about $1000, so you can get deals on eBay. I personally think that you can get a decent collector horn, one with some silver wear and it's fair share of dents but still fairly playable and presentable, for less then you $1500 limit. I suspect a raincatcher like Sam's is out of that range, but maybe a helicon in a little worse shape, or the Monster Buescher that was just on eBay might be in your price range. Remember that it is OK to have a fairly beat up collector horn, it has character that a reconditioned horn doesn't. Also don't be afraid to buy a horn with minor problems like missing valve caps or valve springs, no gooseneck. You can always get those parts fairly readily.

Follow Ups: