Re: Re: Re: Juilliard and other schools

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 05, 2000 at 22:17:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Juilliard and other schools posted by a long but well-considered reply on June 05, 2000 at 11:59:27:

Great post! You make some very good points. The only thing I would add to what you've already mentioned is my opinion of the lack of statistical significance in the actual winning of a conservatory spot. While I can agree with most of your points about the conservatory environment being a good situation for the aspiring orchestral tubist, I don't think there is any inherent indication (or tendency, as you put it) of success for the player that wins a conservatory audition over the player who wins a spot in a university type school. What I really think drives these auditions is the auditioners' perceptions of whether or not a candidate has potential. And I think a more accurate indication of a student's prospects for success is how they dominate (or don't) their peers in the auditions at whatever situation they end up in. I believe that learning to win the audition is a skill in and of itself and, in my mind, the best situation for that is to be in a large studio which offers numerous and regular competition. As long as you have access to a good teacher who is also well acquainted with the orchestral tuba playing situation (and not all great players are good teachers), you have the ingredients for success. Great topic!

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: