Re: Willson vs. Caravell

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Biligus Rucsctik on June 06, 2000 at 22:11:30:

In Reply to: Willson vs. Caravell posted by Jordan K. on June 06, 2000 at 03:09:27:

In 1952, I came in fourth in the National Sousaphone Championship, and I was playing a Guenther-Hildgers sousaphone in F with only two of the valves working (1 and 3). I had enough technique to play E natural (not a not played very often on sousaphones, anyway) with 1&3, and that is how I was able to place in this prestigious competition.

Anyway, everyone made fun of my Guenther-Hildgers, because some big fat guy had died playing in during the '49 graduation ceremony, and no one after that wanted to play it. (The broken second valve is tied in with that story, but I won't go into that now. I'll save it for another post in which I will have some questions for you professionals.)

The point that I am trying to make is that we can all live in this great,wide, beautiful world together, if we just try AND if we practice moderation in everything. The Belgians, of course, have always been known to make the best sousaphones, but my Romanian Guenther-Hildgers PROVED that when we overlook the worth of others, we ALL lose!!!!!

Follow Ups: