Re: Re: Re: Re: Cuts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on June 07, 2000 at 13:36:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Cuts posted by James W on June 07, 2000 at 11:28:03:

Its a topic that won't go away here, James...it does surprize me though to see
that folks who say their ears cannot hear differences expect respect when the sound coming out of their mouths (or their horns) say otherwise! I for one do see some value to the discussion, although I believe a sincere young player is better helped by their TEACHER in decisions about a very important purchase, for example. The "debate" convinced me personally to switch to CC, my teacher had no comments really one way or t'other for me at the time. He was however VERY supportive when I decided to sell my 2 BBflat horns and then buy a CC. It was (for me) a personal growth decision more than "best horn" decision. Interestingly I got a nice CC that was a "cut" horn. AND I still think most of what gets posted about "BBflat -versus- CC" is circle-jerk ... and one-sided at that. My facility on tuba isn't sufficient to comfortably claim that one pitch or the other is the bee's knees. BUT I do know that my playing has improved immensely since I switched, and that my CC tubas are way better than the BBflat tubas I previously-owned. Whatever, I think that the commonest prejudices in the world are based upon something other than reality most of the time anyways, so it's likely ("prolly") that things like reason, clear-thinking, or observation won't influence them much anyways... that said, isn't it sometimes hard to believe that the post-writer that sounds like such a prick on-line might turn out to be the fun person you sit next to at tuba christmas....food for thought, eh?

Follow Ups: