Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kalison 6/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on June 08, 2000 at 17:55:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kalison 6/4 posted by DCastillo on June 08, 2000 at 10:47:08:

Well I still can't get things just right on that high G, but I haven't worked as hard as I should I guess to fix it. At first,I tried lipping it, that didn't work, and I tried the different fingerings but none got it JUST right. I'll work on that one.

Some of the other notes I didn't mention were Ab above that G, it's flat(push in slide 3). The other Ab's are OK with slide in. The Bb above the staff is a little flat as well.
The thing with my first valve slide is that little adjustable stopper. If I set it for plain ole Bb and F it's ok but then for the high Bb I need to push it in a little more, so I have to guess were to put the slide on some 1st valve notes. The B below C in the staff is fine with the second valve slide out but the Eb above that requires it to be in all the way. I don't know about you but that little slide is hard as heck to manipulate in a hurry. Sometimes the top 4th slide is too. One side of the slide is long, the other short, so when I pull it out for the low G and especially Gb, one side comes out and no sound! I've had this happen a few times in performance, luckily they were in ensembles!

Have you played much up in the extreme register of the horn? This past year my range made it up to the G above the staff. I can't figure out the right fingers to push to get on up to that super Bb and C. Just curious.

The D you mentioned I agree with and that these horns are sometimes very different from one to the next. I'm glad we talked about this. It gives more motivation to practice more. I must admit this summer break has hit me hard in the chops. I find too many things taking my time to enjoy being away from school. I hope maybe I'll have some time to take a trip to play some of those new horns!

Thanks and Good Luck,

Jason

Follow Ups: