Re: Fluency on different keyed tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Knox on June 12, 2000 at 10:01:34:

In Reply to: Fluency on different keyed tubas posted by Bill Burdick on June 11, 2000 at 18:41:23:

I primarily play an Alex CC. Like many of us I started out on trumpet in 4th grade, was switched to E-flat at the semester, and over the summer learned BB-flat. That was all in 58-59. I played BB until after college when I switched to CC. Now 28 years later I am still stunned that in moments of panic I'll revert to BB-flat fingerings. I picked up an F a few years ago, but never mastered it and no longer have the horn.

I find after warming a given instrument up, and adjusting my ear to it, that I have accessed that part of my brain which stores those fingerings. So now I play my King (H.N. White) Helicon in the July 4th parade (it's 108 years old), my CC in orchestra and quintet, and my e-flat for specialty parts (I used it for Bydlo once and it was well received).

Your brain is far more powerful than you give it credit. Try immersion training like some do to learn a language, and you'll adapt pretty quickly.

Mike

Follow Ups: