Re: New and Improved F Tuba discussion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on June 14, 2000 at 04:30:22:

In Reply to: New and Improved F Tuba discussion posted by Joseph Felton on June 14, 2000 at 00:37:41:

Just wondering if you tried any of the PT-10 piston F tubas? It's been to long since I have played one of these to give any detailed evaluation, but I remember it had a similar blow/response to my PT-7 I had. Tone color also was similar to my B&S which makes sense. As far as other aspects, maybe some PT-10P owners can comment on them. In my opinion, another F tuba worth trying is the NEW Miraphone F. It's a six rotor (5 right, 1 left) or (4 right, 2 left) with a very, very sweet sound. Nicely open low register and very focused slots. I tried it back to back with a PT-15. Both were very nice. The PT-15 had a larger, wider, more robust sound. I'm comparing apples to apples (Macintosh to Red Delicious), but it depends on what your needs are for the group's you play in. I have also had good experiences with the Meinl horns you mentioned. The piston Meinl (MW45SP) is a very good large F horn. That MW182 is a kick in the pants! I really enjoyed playing on it and it was very resonably priced. The Yamaha's are good as well. I owned a 621S for five years and it served me well in a variety of settings. The Yamaha didn't have as nice a sound as the german horns in my opinion, but they are very versital. I hope this helps alittle. Best of luck!

Ken Sturgeon

Follow Ups: