Re: Re: Check The Archives for Pete's Sake!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on June 15, 2000 at 18:22:11:

In Reply to: Re: Check The Archives for Pete's Sake! posted by Matt Walters on June 13, 2000 at 21:58:31:

First of all, let's clear up any misunderstandings about my own selfishness.
I have never received "check the archives" as an answer; I wrote this post after
seeing how often it was being done to other people. Perhaps it was wrong to assume that
these other people were upset with this response and didn't actually end up being
able to navigate the archives and answer their question, but I was ACTUALLY doing this
for their benefit, not mine. Personally, I enjoyed this site more when it talked about broader more debatable issues instead of "how to use a hacksaw and duct tape to make
an AAb tuba" and "was Arnold Jacobs only part god, or god himself?" types of issues (no rips on Mr. Jacobs intended there. Let's please not let that spark another argument; check the archives for those).
Secondly, let's address your comments about my contributions to this site. I am not an expert and I am not a novice, and I contribute when I feel my input is valid. However, I have noticed that this is the case less and less frequently, and I believe that
we need to have respect for everyone, including those "new to the world of tuba". The advice I have received here has been invaluable. However, speaking of something to check the archives for, it's amazing how often I get ripped on by the rest of you (some memorable topics for you long-time BBS-ers may be me not liking the sound quality of the tubas on Howard Johnson's "Gravity" album, or perhaps me objecting to the need for jazz fonts on finale 2000). This is because I speak my mind more openly here than I would
talking to any of you in person because I know that if I am truly out of line that I will find that out in a relatively painless fashion. That is the greatest thing about this site, and whenever someone writes a post as long as this one and then adds a disclaimer like "sorry for rambling on", I often think that the post was not actually too long because it is truly interesting to see someone's complete thoughts. So, in the interest
of maintaing the quality of this site, I will say that no one can possibly jump in and take all of the toys if there are no toys to be taken. I am only trying to bring more toys
to the party.

Follow Ups: