Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is he?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on June 16, 2000 at 12:57:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Who is he? posted by Jay Bertolet on June 16, 2000 at 10:52:08:

Jay,
I've followed your posts for a long time, and words can scarcely express my admiration of you. As a result, I hope that you will take my comments in the spirit in which they are intended, not as a rag on you but merely an alternative viewpoint.

The vast majority of musicians in this world make less than car fare for what we do. We go to work every day and earn a living doing something other than music (this is not meant to imply that professional musicians do NOT earn their living), and eagerly await our next opportunity to play, particularly when we get to perform. Once in a blue moon the opportunity comes along to play for more than a couple hundred people. This doesn't happen in a church or community band setting, but it does happen at Disney (or Six Flags here in Texas) and other places where large numbers of people congregate. Would you really want to deny them that opportunity? Also, let's face it, a large number of the park visitors at amusement park settings are school bands and choirs; Disney (not one of my favorite corporations, FWIW) is largely providing an attraction for those students - not so much the opportunity to HEAR music, but to PLAY it.

Also, remember that competition is an important element of our economy. Suppose the price of something YOU want to consume, say groceries, was controlled artificially. Let's say that the grocery stores got together and decided to set the price of milk at $10 per gallon, but one 'non-union' store offered it at $1.98. Would you respect the sanctity of the grocery store owner's union and shell out the $10, or head for the non-union place? BTW, the only reason the grocery store owners don't do this is that it is illegal (check the anti-cartel laws). But in many states, unions are allowed to prevent industrious workers in all sorts of businesses from competing for better pay by performing better, or competing for more work by taking a lower wage; the eager beaver must simply take whatever is proscribed in the union contract for however much work he happens to get. So much for the right to *pursue* happiness.

As a disclaimer (those who mischaracterize my remarks as though I've not said this are LIARS), while MANY BUT NOT ALL workers in SOME unions are inclined to goof off because of their contracts, I have no reason to believe that this is commonplace among professional musicians.

Let me repeat my great respect and admiration for Mr. Bertolet, as well as my sincere best wishes for those of you sufficiently fortunate and hard-working to make a living as professional musicians. I respectfully request that this thread NOT degenerate into a hateful name-calling session that Sean will have to censor (not something Jay would do, but some lurkers have been known to be quite intolerant of opposing views in the past).

Peace,
Joe B.

Follow Ups: