Re: Re: how long will band music survive?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on June 23, 2000 at 09:53:57:

In Reply to: Re: how long will band music survive? posted by ken k on June 22, 2000 at 21:43:31:

Hey Ken,
It sounds like you have been Bushwacked. That kind of thing has been going on for along time now. For at least the past twenty years. I don't know the details of the Avant Guard approach of California and Prop 13 but in Mass the year after I graduated High School Prop 2 1/2 Lanced out my High School Band. The Band program was defunct for a few years and it took some Cavalier suport from out side the school funding to get it back. Not all Bands lost sight of the North Star and closed shop. Some went around like Vagabonds and did alot more fundraising and they didn't get to go on a trip as a result. Without the fundraising Bands did with out the extras. The VH1 save the music thing is relatively a new concept so far as getting funding for school music programs. The area I live in now has many wonderful school music programs and as long as the local industry provides high paying jobs to would be Band parents then they will probably survive. The real crux of the juxtaposition is that a realy good Guitar player or Piano player probably has alot more job placement oppurtunities available to him than a realy good Tuba player coming out of high school.
People now adays would rather pay 15 Buc's to see the Reading Phillies play rather than spend it on a Band Concert. I did shell out 35 Buc's to see the Canadian Brass recently and I did thouroughly enjoy it but most of the people at this concert could have bought Chuck Dallenbachs horn for a wall hanging if you know what I mean"$$$". Ahh, such is life.........
Randy,"June makes me think I should be shouldering my Bazzooka and looking for my dot book", Mac Iver

Follow Ups: