Re: Re: Re: Everything I ever needed to know...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 26, 2000 at 15:26:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Everything I ever needed to know... posted by Steve Dedman on June 24, 2000 at 08:53:59:

One thing I've learned in years of watching church choirs debate but not communicate with non-musical members of the congregation, is that music affects some people deeply and others not at all. You can't persuade the people in the latter group by the power of the music--they are not equipped to understand the point. It's like teaching a deaf person what a car horn sounds like, or a sightless person about red.

So, how do you persuade non-musical people of the value of expensive music programs? You highlight the non-musical benefits. Music is a language, and learning to read music involves the same skills as learning a foreign language. Music requires an understanding of arithmetic, counting, and fractions. And it compounds those skills by requiring it to be presented in harmony with others in an ensemble. The emotional power of the music aside, it has legitimate academic value, which is why it is considered a basic part of a complete education in most countries.

I never understood how a school system that pays zillions for anti-gang after-hours babysitting programs could cut the school band budget.

Rick "Mohommed must go to the mountain" Denney

Follow Ups: