Re: Help me find a large tuba!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on July 03, 2000 at 17:19:01:

In Reply to: Help me find a large tuba! posted by Sten Larsson on June 25, 2000 at 07:40:09:

Seems most people were more interested in selling you their horn or pushing what they chose so that they can feel good about their decision.. such is life. I will attempt to give you a broad overview but as has already been pointed out you are best off making a trip to Dillon's, Custom, and Brasswind to figure out what you like for yourself.

The 4/4,5/4,6/4 question was just hammered out to death for the millionth time up above and is also in the archives so I'll leave that question alone.

Personally, I would stay away from the absolutely huge monster horns unless you are already established in a major full size orchesta. The 6/4 horns don't audition all that well and are only genuinely at home in a big orchestra performing a big piece.

If, as you seem to have indicated, you are searching for something biggish that will still serve well in auditions, quintet, and solo, as well as the big band and orchestra stuff you have narrowed your field of choices down to the big 4/4 small 5/4 area.

Brands to take a look at:
B&S Perantucci is doing lots of great things right now. The PT-4,20, and 6 are all great and would be my personal first choices. Great response and sound and intonation.. well built. I think that the PT-6 is too much for quintet stuff. The PT-20 is supposed to be a compromise in size between the PT-4 and PT-6.

In the new Mienl Weston series of tubas that only one that I genuinely liked the sound and response of was the 2000. The 2000 is very similar to the 2155 but with less bracing. It resonates much better than other Mienls in the same series. I personally wouldn't by this horn for myself even though I really like how it plays because I hate the trendy new monster pistons that they are using on it that require us normal sized people to spread our fingers unaturaly. The valves are also at an odd angle that even if they weren't so huge would still be uncomfortable. For me this is a great horn with bad ergonomics but if it fits you physically then this could very well be a good choice. I'm also very partial to the older series rotory Mienls even though you don't see much talk of them any more. I think the model 23 is the 4/4 CC rotory Mienl. This horn lacks a little bit on the projection side of things but has the potential to create an absolutely gorgeous sound in the hands of someone that has taken the time to learn how to play one.

You also can't go wrong with a 4/4 or 5/4 Hirsbrunner but you will also pay a lot for the privelege.

Many people like the Rudy Meinls as well. You'll have to try them all to decide what you like. The rotors tend to be machined a little too tight and typically need to have some work done before they are really ready to be played up to speed. Great sound out of these horns and many people love them but I have mixed feelings. Their designs seem out of proportion with themselves. Way too dark for normal use.

Miraphones and Yamaha are typically very easy to play but I feel that they lack in the sound department. There may be exceptions to this so take a look at them just to see for yourself.

Kalisons: I don't have much experice here but it seems funny to me that so many young tuba players buy these horns and then put them up for sale here on Tubenet a few years later. I don't know what it is.. apparently they play well on first impression.. but there must be something that people find lacking after they have spent more time with them. I have no direct experience here but this has been my observation.

Cerveny: These horns tend not to be very well made but have a lot of potential if you work them up to spec and put time into learning them. The biggest non-fixable complaint I've seen about Cervenys is that they are very inefficient. Unless I'm able to get a world class sound out of one of these I'm not sure I would be willing to put forth the effort.

I think I've covered all the bases.. I'm sure I've skipped something and upset a few people somewhere along the line. As always this is just my opinion of the moment.

Cheers!
joseph

Follow Ups: