Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Planets recording

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 06, 2001 at 10:23:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Planets recording posted by Steve C on June 05, 2001 at 22:21:59:

While I don't recall the details of how Uranus was discovered, I can personally attest that it is visible from earth. As large gas planets (vastly larger than Terra Firma), they are visible even in amateur telescopes as a well-defined disk. In an 8" telescope, I have even seen the bands of Neptune, Uranus's neighbor.

Off-topic aside: The problem with Pluto is that it is small, and from this distance isn't large enough to appear as anything but a dim star. There are only two ways to discover a planet or asteroid that looks like a star even in a telescope, and know that it is not a star. The first is by noting its gravitational effect on other Solar System bodies. Pluto was theoretically postulated before it was actually seen. The other means of discovering non-stellar small bodies is by looking for objects in a familiar star field that are out of place. As you can imagine, this is most difficult, and is most easily done (without computers) using astrophotography, where photos of a star field, when compared on successive nights, show movement of one of the "stars" within the field. This technique has been the basis for the discovery of most comets and asteroids, most of which have been discovered since Holst's composition.

Back on topic: Holst was indeed interested in astrology, not astronomy, and wrote music related to the astrological associations of each planet rather than their supposed astronomical characteristics. Hence, Mars, Bringer of War rather than Mars, The Red Planet. He was also quite interested in eastern religion, and one of his more interesting compositions is based on an ancient Indian text (Hymns from the Rig Veda).

Despite this eastern influence, and despite Holst's German-sounding name, his music, like the man, was quintessentially English. I must admit that the Beatles left me unmoved, but in Vaughan Williams and Holst I have found my musical heart. I wish we had more of that British invasion.

Rick "who was surprised by the broadcast of the RVW 5th on the way to work this morning" Denney

Follow Ups: