Re: Clicking in Rotars....hmmmm

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on June 18, 2001 at 09:26:04:

In Reply to: Clicking in Rotars....hmmmm posted by TracyH. on June 18, 2001 at 03:09:49:

Tracy, Mark,

I have had the same problem on every Miraphone I've played. I also get this problem from time to time on my Piggy. The solution that I have almost always works on my Piggy, but I've had less success with Miraphones. Here's what I do:

First I make sure that all of the adjusting screws are tweaked to as near perfection as I can get. Then, use a fairly heavy weight oil on the linkage joints. Since yours are nylon, be careful that what you use doesn't have a dissolving effect on the nylon over time. Since mine are metal, I can use a combination of tuning slide grease diluted with 3-in-1. Smelly, but it works. Then I turn the horn over and remove the cap. Place a drop of oil on the bearing on the backside of the valve and replace the cap. Then turn the horn over and put a drop or two on the turnpost between the casing and the stop.

While this sounds just like the normal way to oil a rotary valve (and it is), I'm paying specific attention to using the oil more as a cushion than a lubricant. What may be happening is that over time the valves have worn just enough to ride up and down in the casing slightly, but not enough to leak air or even be seen. But you can hear it. It's kind of like hammering on the hull of a ship. It's a very localized and small click, but it gets transmitted and magnified through the horn to the point of total distraction.

The horn is a beauty. You're a fortunate player, Tracy!

Follow Ups: